I have written blogs about how unhealthy the Holidays can be to our bodies…and our waistlines. Starting at Halloween and continuing through the New Year, the average american can gain 5-7 pounds, BUT….you don’t want to be average, Right?!?
So this year I decided to go a different route. I want you to look at your plate differently. First, let me tell you that I am not here to tell you to eat lettuce and raw veggies for Thanksgiving…unless that is what you want. I am here to tell you to enjoy your mom’s home-cooking, but do is SMARTER!
1. When the appetizers are out – Take a small plate and fill it with a variety of snacks and WALK AWAY! DON’T GRAZE! If your crazy uncle traps you in front of the cheeseball talking about his gout flareup, shift the conversation to the couch and move away from the temptation.
(I decided to go on a typical dinner plate I see in my family. We want to try everything…)
- 1 drumstick (dark meat) with skin ~ 200cal
- 4 oz turkey breast ~ 170cal
- 1/2 cup stuffing ~ 350-500cal (remember the good stuff cooked in the turkey will be higher)
- 1/2 cup sweet potato casserole ~ 250cal
- 1 cup green bean casserole ~200cal
- 1 cup mashed potatoes ~200cal
- 1 dinner roll ~ 100cal
- 4 tbsp gravy ~ 30cal
- 1/2 in canned cranberry sauce ~ 80cal
- 1 tsp butter ~ 30cal
- Slice of pecan pie ~ 500cal
Slice of apple pie ~ 400cal
Slice of pumpkin pie ~ 350cal
- 2 tbsp whipped cream ~ 20cal
TOTAL ~ 2000cal (Without Alcohol)
SCARY STATISTIC…..The Average American consumes 4500cal in one meal!!!! (That is two times the caloric intake for the day!)
Take this information and educate your self ahead of time so that your stomach doesn’t make the decisions for you!
3. What Can You do?
- Be sure your start Thanksgiving Day with exercise!
- It is hard if others are doing the cooking, so choose smarter when serving yourself
- Take smaller portions
- Offer to share a slice of pie with a family member
- Get up and offer to do the dishes so you won’t nibble more
- Don’t be the President of the Clean Plate Club!
BE SMART & KEEP MOVING!!