I speak to women all day everyday…at work, school events, friends, family, etc. One thing that has stuck in my brain is that women are SCARED to lift weights. Now before you start yelling at me from your end of the computer or smartphone, I know this does not apply to all women. I am generalizing here!
Many women will walk all the way to the grave and never touch a weight. We as a gender are over focused on CARDIO, CARDIO & more CARDIO! In fact, I am guessing that if any of you had only 30 minutes today to get a workout in, 99% of you would do some sort of cardio workout and not a strength workout.
Something to think about – Have you ever seen a man in a commercial for any osteoporosis medications? We typically think of the frail older female with weak bones. She may walk everyday, but her muscles are weak, weak, weak! Think of your bones and muscles like a tree and its roots. As the wind blows, the tree sways; this tells the tree to make the roots more dense and grow deeper. Muscles are attached to bones in order to move them. If we never tell our muscles to pull on that bone (like in a strength exercise), the bone does not need to become any more dense or stronger.
Like they say – Use It or Lose it!
If women just incorporated 1-2 days of moderate strength training to their fitness routine, they would see drastic improvements. If they are runners, they will see improvements in their time/distance; if they play a sport like tennis, they will see improvement in their game.
Strength training is the perfect partner for cardiovascular fitness!
Here are a few reasons to hit the gym & GO STRAIGHT TO THE WEIGHT ROOM!
1. You will lose more weight! If you add more lean muscle mass to your body, you will burn more fat! Simple enough!
2. You will increase your metabolism and eat better! Studies show over and over again that muscles need more energy to work, therefore you burn more energy when you workout! More muscle = higher metabolism. Also, women who have committed to their total body fitness workouts are more likely to stay on track with nutrition than those who are not committed.
3. Your clothes will fit better! It is always nice to see the scale move down, but sometimes we still don’t feel awesome. When you have added more lean muscle mass to your body, body parts go back to where they were meant to be…you don’t have to squish them into your clothes. Also, don’t worry about bulking up! Unless you have added some steroids to your breakfast smoothie, you don’t have the testosterone to bulk like men. Some women may notice that they have stronger legs than other women…if it is muscle, embrace your strength! Big strong legs are much sexier than big flabby legs!
4. Your bones will be stronger! Bone density increases when strength training is a part of your workout routine. Science supports me here!
5. You will be healthier, happier, more productive and live longer! I am not sure science can actually prove this statement ….but I believe in my heart that it is true!
See you in the weight room!
Katie Scharf – StrengthinMoms.com – Katie@StrengthinMoms.com